- One of the senses of By way of creating. is described as ‘With plural or collective noun as complement’, referring to examples such as ‘bounding through the latest trees‘ and ‘She slipped through the competition.’
A noun keywords is a group of words consisting of a noun or pronoun along with any modifiers of that noun or pronoun (such as determiners, adjectives, postmodifying phrases, etc.). A noun phrase functions in a sentence exactly like a noun. The underlined phrases in the following are examples of noun phrases: ‘That’s the preferred june sport’, ‘The headlines out of his passing came as a wonder‘, ‘Did you see something fascinating?’
- Well worth adj. 1(a) is described as ‘With noun or noun phrase as complement.’ An example of worth with a noun phrase is ‘It is worth ten pieces of gold‘: ten pieces of gold is a noun phrase consisting of the noun pieces premodified by ten and postmodified by the phrase of gold.
Number is a grammatical category used to classify word forms according to how many people or things they refer to. In modern English, the two number categories are just one and plural. See also dual.
An object is a noun, noun phrase, pronoun, or clause which forms the complement of a transitive verb and typically refers to something or someone that is affected by the action denoted by that verb.
An immediate target normally describes something or an individual who are personally influenced by the experience denoted of the verb: for example every pie within the John ate all cake. From inside the English, brand new head target usually observe the fresh verb.
An immediate object could also be used and an indirect object, hence generally speaking refers to the https://datingranking.net/pl/cougar-life-recenzja/ recipient or purpose of the experience denoted from the verb: such Louise in Promote Louise particular cake. Within the English, this new secondary object constantly uses the fresh verb and you may till the head object.
Throughout the OED, object is used as standard title to mention on direct target; direct object is utilized if there is a contrast having secondary object.
- BLUE-Clean v. is defined as ‘To treat (hair) with a blue rinse. Also with person as object.’ This means that the direct object of blue-rinse usually denotes hair (as in ‘He had prepared for his performance by blue-rinsing his locks‘) but it may also denote a person (as in ‘He has evidently just blue-rinsed Mrs Irons‘).
- At AUGUR v. step one, ‘To predict, to anticipate’, there is a set of quotations described as ‘With clause as object’. For example, in ‘I do not pretend to augur precisely what the process of law can do‘, the clause ‘what the courts will do’ functions as the direct object of augur.
- At Myself pron. 1 , sense 1 gives examples of me ‘As direct object of a verb’, including ‘Hear me, for I will speak’ and ‘He..hauled me to my feet’. By contrast, sense 2 gives examples of me ‘As indirect object’, including ‘Dalek..sold me two ounces of Colombian gold reefer’ (where two ounces of Colombian gold reefer is the direct object, and me is the indirect object).
- Safer v. 3f is defined as ‘With direct and indirect object. To make sure that (a person) obtains something.’ For example, in ‘This would secure him a promotion’, a promotion is the direct object, and him is the indirect object.
- When a word functions as the object of a sentence or clause, it is in the objectivesituation. In modern English, pronouns have different forms depending on case, and the main objective pronouns are me, you, him, her, it, us, and Objective pronouns are contrasted with personal pronouns such as I, he, etc. (Note that you and it have the same form in both the subjective and objective case.)